Compost Hub registrations are now open again!
The Compost Hub links households that are not composting with households that are, via an interactive online platform. It follows a successful trial in 2017. During the nine-week trial over 1,000kgs of food scraps were diverted from landfill. Participants noted how much less waste went into their red bin, the satisfaction of reusing their food scraps and the community building aspect of the scheme.
Did you know that:
- HUNDREDS of tonnes of food waste go from our red garbage bins into our local landfill each week? In landfill, food waste takes up valuable space, generates carbon emissions and causes other environmental impacts which are expensive to manage.
- Community composting helps us use food scraps the way nature intended, by returning valuable nutrients to the soil. For more information or to join up, follow the link below.
- results from Council’s 2019 Waste Audit found that over 37% of waste collected from household garbage bins was food waste which could have been avoided or composted.
Join now and...
- Help create a community compost hub in your area. If you love composting and are happy to accept extra food scraps, or if you don't compost (due to lack of space or time) but want to keep your food scraps out of landfill...you've come to the right place.
- Free compost bins and kitchen caddies are available on request by Champions for the formation of NEW compost Hubs (Terms and Conditions apply)
- By joining the Compost Hub your food scraps can be used the way nature intended – by returning valuable nutrients to the soil.
For more information or to find your composting match click the JOIN UP! button below.