The Hazardous waste….together we’ve got it sorted campaign is rolling out in 2021.
It aims to inform the Blue Mountains community, including residents and businesses residing and/or trading within the Blue Mountains Local Government Area (LGA), about:
- The correct use of Council’s waste disposal systems.
- Business’s obligations for hazardous material disposal, including asbestos.
- The cost, environment impacts and health and safety risks associated with illegal dumping / incorrect disposal of hazardous materials.
- How to identify and report suspicious behaviour associated with illegal dumping of asbestos, and
- The cost of correct and safe asbestos disposal is the same as other waste, no greater.
The campaign, led by Social Change Activist Dr Holly Kaye-Smith (pictured above), emphasises that a partnership and shared responsibility is required to ensure the safe handling and disposal of hazardous waste in the Blue Mountains.
The Council entered into the Enforceable Undertaking after SafeWork NSW alleged that the Council contravened clauses 425(1), 429(2), 479(1), and 445(1) of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011. The full undertaking and general information about enforceable undertakings is available at www.safework.nsw.gov.au.