Together We Thrive
An economically sustainable city facilitates a diverse, robust and environmentally friendly local economy that benefits local residents.
Sustainable businesses and industries that have minimal impact on the natural environment are encouraged and supported.
A vibrant city encourages and facilitates a variety of sustainable industries, enterprises and businesses.
Our aspirations and aims
We value business and industries that support the needs of our community and are in harmony with our surrounding World Heritage environment.
People of all ages are attracted to work, live and study in the Blue Mountains.
Through responsible economic development we have strengthened and diversified our local economy, creating growth in employment and educational opportunities.
In doing this we have built on our inherent strengths and advantages in being a City with rich cultural and natural heritage surrounded by a World Heritage Area and a creative City of the Arts. We are a leader in sustainable tourism and visitor destination management.
By 2025, our local economy is stronger and more sustainable.
6.1: The City’s economy is diverse, vibrant, strong and environmentally sustainable with increased local employment.
6.2: The City of Blue Mountains has a strong identity that builds on its natural and built heritage and creative strengths as a City of the Arts and a City surrounded by a World Heritage Area.
6.3: The City’s infrastructure supports diverse and sustainable economic development.
6.4: The Blue Mountains is a leader of sustainable tourism and destination management within a World Heritage Area.
Challenges and opportunities
- Increased tourist visitation contributing positively to the local economy without reducing resident amenity.
- Tourist dollar better captured to fund required upgrade and improvements in infrastructure, facilities and services to cater for growing visitation.
- More residents are able to work locally within the City of Blue Mountains or in nearby accessible regional centres.
- Improved public transport services for Blue Mountains commuters.
- Infrastructure is provided and maintained to attract and retain home, small and larger businesses.
- Digital infrastructure supports ability of residents to work remotely.
- Educational campuses that provide options for local residents, particularly young people, and build on the natural advantages of the city and region.
- Older workers maintain skills and continue to work.
- Younger people remain or move here with the skill mix needed to support local business.
- Local people are ready with the required skills to take up local job opportunities.
- Partnerships between business and educational institutions target integrated skills.