This section provides information for businesses, and links to information and support available, during the COVID-19 pandemic.

2021 COVID-19 Business Support Grant

Eligible NSW businesses, sole traders, and not-for-profit organisations may be eligible to apply for a grant of up to $15,000 via the Service NSW website.

To view eligibility criteria and apply, visit:

New grant program for micro-businesses 

Last week the Government announced that from late July, a new grant program will be made available for micro-businesses with annual turnover of between $30,000 and $75,000 who experience at least a 30 percent decline in turnover. These micro-businesses will now be eligible for a $1,500 payment per fortnight during restrictions. 

Further details on the State Government’s support packages, including eligibility, are available here:

For regular news and updates for our local business community subscribe to our monthly Business News Snapshot here

Impact of COVID-19 on the local economy

  • Eligible small businesses will have access to a rebate scheme for NSW and local government fees and charges. The NSW Government is delivering on a $50 million commitment made in the State Budget last year, designed to bolster small businesses in the wake of the COVID-induced economic downturn. Small businesses (including farm businesses) with total wages below $1.2 million payroll tax threshold, and a turnover of at least $75,000 a year will be able to claim back council fees and charges. The rebate will be available until 30 June 2022. To apply and for more information, visit or contact Service NSW for Business on (02) 9132 2344.   

  • Council has re-ignited its popular Love Local campaign to boost support of local businesses following the latest COVID-19 restrictions. Download Love Local resources for your business here

  • Service NSW is a good one-stop shop for accessing information on support (including information on Federal assistance). Service NSW has a 24/7 operation to support the State’s response to COVID-19. Call Service NSW on 13 77 88 or visit the Service NSW COVID19 support webpage.

  • The ATO and Treasury websites also offer good information on Federal initiatives. The ATO have an Emergency info line on 1800 806 218 and Treasury has detailed information for business, and help for families and individuals available on the website Treasury's Coronavirus webpage. More information is also available on the Support for businesses in Australia website.

  • Blue Mountains City Council is waiving rents for all tenants in Council buildings under commercial agreements for as long as needed, during the COVID-19 crisis. 

Mental health and wellbeing

The uncertainty around how long restrictions will last can be one of the more stressful factors surrounding lockdowns and restrictions. If you, or your staff are distressed and need wellbeing support, a number of support services are available.

24/7 telephone services

There is 24/7 help available on the following numbers:
Lifeline - 13 11 14
Beyond Blue - 1300 224 636

Online services and resources
NewAccess by Beyond Blue – Free and confidential help for small business owners from mental health coaches with a small business background.

Council and the Ahead for Business team at Everymind, have partnered to support the mental wellbeing of Blue Mountains based businesses. The Ahead for Business online portal provides resources for small business owners to help you get to know your mental health, understand your wellbeing status, and identify areas for action and support with personalised results and recommendations.

Council is also here to support you. Contact Council if you would like to speak to a team member about these support services.

Assistance with rental negotiations

The Blackheath Chamber of Commerce, Leura Village Association and Katoomba Chamber of Commerce have worked together to write a form letter which businesses may use for approaching their landlord. It is an easy-to-use template in a Word document and can be amended to suit your business and situation. You can contact the Council's Economic Development Team or one of the organisations listed above to get a copy.